Friday, April 20, 2007

Tube Socks...

I've been knitting socks...



DETAILS:

Tube Socks Knit In the Round

They fit my size 9 narrow feet & can accommodate quite a few sizes because there is no shaped heel or gusset. For larger sizes, add more stitches or change the needle size.

Yarn: 1 skein Regia 4 ply Canadian Color – Manitoba #4737 (100g, 420 m)(or any 4 ply fingering weight sock yarn)

Needles: Size 2.75mm (US2) Bryspun dpns (or any size needle that works for you). You can also use magic loop, circulars or any method you prefer to knit in the round.

Gauge: 7 sts. = 1 inch (in pattern, slightly stretched).

Directions:

CO 56 sts. (or any number necessary for your desired size) and join in the round.
K2,P2 for 20 rounds.

K7, P7 until sock measures 16” or desired length (this gives me a 7 to 8” leg length. You can also knit in stockinette stitch all the way down or create your own design. These are YOUR socks!

Begin toe decrease, using the Star Toe technique or any toe shaping you prefer.

***I've had requests to explain the toe decrease in more detail, so here's an explanation of how I decrease the toe for socks with 56 stitches:

row 1: knit 12 sts., k2tog., and repeat all around (52 sts.)
row 2: knit all around without decreasing
row 3: knit 11 sts., k2tog., and repeat all around (48 sts.)
row 4: knit all around without decreasing
row 5: knit 10 sts., k2tog., and repeat all around (44 sts.)
row 6: knit all around without decreasing
row 7: knit 9 sts., k2tog., and repeat all around (40 sts.)
row 8: knit all around without decreasing
row 9: knit 8 sts., k2tog., and repeat all around (36 sts.)
row 10: knit all around without decreasing
row 11: knit 7 sts., k2tog., and repeat all around (32 sts.)
row 12: knit all around without decreasing
row 13: knit 6 sts., k2 tog., and repeat all around (28 sts.)
row 14: knit 5 sts., k2 tog., and repeat all around (24 sts.)
row 15: knit 4 sts., k2 tog., and repeat all around (20 sts.)
row 16: knit 3 sts., k2 tog., and repeat all around (16 sts.)
row 17: knit 2 st., k2 tog., and repeat all around (12 sts.)
row 18: knit 2 sts. tog. all around (6 sts.)

You should have 6 to 12 sts. left on the needles (depending on your preference). Gather those stitches together with the sock yarn and sew through several times to close the seam.

Do you see how this is decreasing gradually every other row? After I do the row where I knit 6 sts., k2tog. all around, I continue the next row with knit 5 sts., k2tog. all around, skipping the non-decrease rows so that the toe doesn't become too pointy. It's not much different from how you decrease for the tops of hats, etc. You can always alter this technique to suit the number of stitches you have cast on, if different from the 56 sts.

I hope my explanation helps and doesn't confuse you more and I also hope I didn't make any mistakes in the calculations (foggy brain, you know). If you have any questions, or something doesn't make sense, give me a shout in my email (link in my sidebar).

This pair was knit with a K5, P2 rib...

Socks That Rock - Blue Brick Wall...I used size 1US (2mm) needles and cast on 60 sts. for this pair in stocking stitch (knit every row)...


How easy is that. Enjoy your new socks and don’t let anyone tell you they aren’t ‘real socks’. ha. My feet love them and anyone who sees them asks for a pair. Tube socks rock!

ps: If you want to knit these socks in a smaller size, look no further. Knittinfun has adapted this pattern for Toddler Socks and it's an easy peasy design and perfect in every way. Yay! Thank you!

***Edited November 01, 2008 (Toddler Socks Edition by
Knittinfun***


***Edited January 10, 2011 to fix error in toe decrease***


***Edited March 24, 2017 to add link to Tube Socks lengths***

I've had a number of queries recently on the length of finished tube socks.  I can only speak for my own knitting experience, of course, so you the knitter will have to adjust the length to suit your needs.  Here is a site that gives various lengths for tube socks:

What Is Your Tube Sock Size

I hope this will help you when deciding how long you want to knit your tube socks, but don't hesitate to write if you need more clarity.  My email is in the sidebar and I'm always happy to hear from you!
cheers.






“We all travel the milky way together, trees and men...”
~John Muir, November 1878